Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Building doorway and header is hanging too low.

Old 06-18-15, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, I am trying to build a doorway from my living room into my garage. I ran into a problem when I was cutting away the drywall. I found a 2x4 and a 8x4 header hanging way too low. I need the door opening to be where the drywall ends. I was thinking of putting 2 studs on each side and cutting about 4 inches right in the middle of the larger beam/header. I think it is a load bearing wall. The picture shows my attic and what's sitting on top. The opening is going to be about 30 inches wide. Please help me, I am not sure if this will ruin the integrity of the wall. Thank you!

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-15, 03:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Can you tell us what pictures 3 & 4 have to do with 1 & 2? They don't seem to correspond in construction methods. Have you determined the total length of your header? You may have to remove the sheetrock a little further until you have the space to either remove and replace the header at a higher plane, or install jacks to allow you to cut the header. Either way, the hole will be much larger than 30". You can replace and repair/paint sheetrock once the door is in.

Your true load bearing is not the door header, although I am not sure why it is even there. That is why you need to see exactly how long it is and where it rests on each end, and if there are any cripples from it to the true header at the ceiling.

Old 06-19-15, 06:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
If that drywall is (was) a fire wall in your attic, it isn't going to hold back a fire very well with all those holes in it. Don't think the inspectors in California will be too pleased with that.

As far as the beam in picture 2, no idea why it would be there. There's probably something you aren't showing us that could explain it. Where is the ceiling in relation to that header on the opposite side of the wall? Are there any studs above it? I don't see any cripples over the top where you hammered out the hole over the header.

Old 06-19-15, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I am a new owner and this is my first project EVER... lol Everything that I have learned, I learned here on the forum and over youtube, so all your help is much appriciated.
-The first picture is the initial cut in the wall the size i need for the opening
-Second picture is illistrating the hole I made to see the size of the header. I am not sure how long they are
-Third and fourth picture is from the attic and what is resting on top of the header. The firewall was broken through before I even got there.

There are cripples above the header but its not shown in the pictures. The hole that I made in picture 2 was not big enough to expose them.

I am also not sure why the header is so low. I asked a few people and they said that it was hanging too low compared to the standard. On the other side of the wall is my living room. I will provide the exact dimensions once I get home.