Painted Over Wall Paper

Old 07-14-15, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Painted Over Wall Paper

Hey! So me and my girlfriend are repainting her bathroom. Unfortunately, the previous owners had put up wall paper. Then proceeded to paint over it. What do I need to do, to successfully remove the wall paper and paint without damaging the sheetrock behind it. I know I need a wall scorer, and someway to steam it off. Can anyone provide a list of steps or what I need to accomplish this? Thank yall ahead of time!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-15, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The biggest issue is getting moisture behind the paper. Scoring will help! I'm not convinced a steamer helps, the main thing is to get the paste wet so it can dissolve and turn the paper loose.

You may or may not be able to remove the paper without any damage to the drywall but repairs aren't that big of a deal. How the wall was prepped/painted previously [under the paper] goes a long ways in determining how hard/easy it will be to remove the paper.

Old 07-14-15, 02:30 PM
If the dry wall gets a few knicks or small holes, would Wall Joint Compound be a good fixer? And thank you!

Old 07-14-15, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, j/c is fine for all the repairs although IF the drywall face paper gets torn you need to cut it clean and then coat the exposed gypsum and adjoining paper with either Zinnser's Gardz or an oil base primer. That prevents any further lifting of the face paper from moisture in the j/c or latex primer.

Old 07-14-15, 02:38 PM
So, as far as removing the wall paper. What sort of solution could be used? Or is steaming the best option?

Old 07-14-15, 02:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO all you need is warm water. I've probably not used a steamer in 30 yrs or so, I'm not convinced they are worth the added expense BUT since the wallpaper has been painted it might help force the moisture into the scoring cuts. I've tried the stripping solutions and adding fabric softener but never noticed any real effect. In theory anything that thickens the water allowing it to stay on the paper longer should help.

I typically put hot tap water in a pump up garden sprayer and then mist the wallpaper with it [after scoring] Setting towels or whatever at the base helps to contain the excess water that the paper doesn't absorb. I don't think anyone likes to strip wallpaper [I've only had it come off easily a handful of times] and I don't go out of my way to contract stripping jobs but sometimes you get stuck with the work when taking a painting job.

Old 07-14-15, 03:05 PM
I understand that better than most, I appreciate this so much. It's been actually a relief I was panicking thinking, it was going to this monstrous project that would cost me a fortune. I don't mind a day or two of stripping, I'll be sure to lay down a tarp to contain the mess. Again much appreciated!

Old 07-14-15, 03:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Patience is probably the biggest thing you need .... there have been a few I wanted to finish stripping with dynamite Some will probably come off easily but then there are spots that make you fight for every square inch The less frustrated you become equals less drywall repair

It's not an overly difficult job but it can become frustrating at times.