Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Thicken ceiling, howto lower sprinkler heads

Old 07-24-15, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

(If this is better in the plumbing forum, please move it

I live in a condo building with ceiling sprinklers.

My bathroom ceiling was removed in some areas to deal with water damage. While it was gone i wanted to install sound insulation + resilient channel and (possibly) double-drywall to insulate from pipe sound noise from bathroom above.

The section of ceiling above the tub was not removed, but i'd like to do that part to keep the ceiling even -- however, it has a sprinkler there.
Since the new ceiling will be an inch or two lower, i suspect i'll encounter a problem with this sprinkler. How hard will this be to lower? Is that something that I could do, or does it get into expensive plumber territory?

(other parts of my house are potential candidates for resilient channel and extra layer of drywall too, if i can figure out how to deal with the sprinklers.

thanks-

Name:  sprinkler.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  18.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-15, 12:39 AM
After doing some more research i haven't found info on sprinkler, but i'm thinking a layer of DB-3 under the drywall:

4 ft. x 8 ft. Acoustical Barrier-DB348X96BX - The Home Depot

combined with some Roxul Insulation:

Roxul Safe 'n' Sound 3 in. x 15-1/4 in. x 47 in. Soundproofing Stone Wool Insulation (12-Roll)-RXSS31525 - The Home Depot

Might be just as good as the resilient channel, and probably wouldn't necessitate lowering the sprinkler.

Old 07-25-15, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator
Lowering the sprinkler wouldn't be that hard, depending on how it was piped of course. I'm sure there are rules I've never had to deal with about that. Still can't imagine any situation where a homeowner couldn't do it unless there are codes rules about certified people doing it.

Old 07-25-15, 01:08 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
I have a close friend that used to work as a (fire suppression) sprinkler fitter and he was required to have a license for the work. I would say that IF this is a DIY sprinkler system without any kind of monitoring or meeting any UL standards then it is probably okay to DIY it.

On the other hand, if it is a system that is required under local ordinances then it is probably NOT a DIY job.

Give us some more details of the sprinkler system. Is it monitored? Is it in a multi-family building or a building that has public meeting spaces or a retail store? Do you get an insurance discount for having the system?

Old 07-25-15, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator
Well, he said it was a condo building (assuming multiple residents) and he's near L.A. per the IP so I'd lay odds it's a code thing.

Old 07-25-15, 01:24 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Thanks, Vic. I barely skimmed the original post and now after reading it I am certain that any changes to the system would have to be made by a licensed sprinkler fitter.

Old 07-25-15, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator
Agreed Furd.......................