Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Hanging cabinets,pictures on cement walls

Hanging cabinets,pictures on cement walls

Old 03-29-01, 06:32 PM
Mommyof3d
Visiting Guest
Question

I live in an old 120 year old building . Most of the walls here are cement and plaster. Please tell me how I can hang my oak and glass cabinet 20" wide by 36" long on the cement wall? Please explain in laymans terms. I've waited for a long time to hang this thing! :0)

Old 03-30-01, 06:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Tools: Drill, 3/8" or 1/2" masonry bit, 1/4" wood bit, measuring tape, level, hammer and large screwdriver.

Materials: Six lead anchors, six lag screws and washers.

You need the drill and masonry bit to drill holes in the cement wall. Get one large enough for your lead anchors.
Tap the six lead anchors into the wall holes to screw lag screws into to hold the cabinet up. They will expand in the holes when you screw the lags into them.
If there aren't any holes already in the inside back corners and middle (top and bottom) of the cabinet frame, you'll also need to drill holes large enough for the lag screws with a regular wood bit.
Check for the bits, lead plugs and lag screws at a hardware store. Know the thickness of your cabinet frame, so that you can get the proper length lag screws.
Mark the cabinet height that you want, and use a measuring tape and level to locate and mark exactly where to drill holes in the wall. Check the line with the level.
Or, you can drill the holes in the back of the cabinet, use a level and get a helper to hold the cabinet up level where you want it, and mark the wall hole spots through the holes in the cabinet.
If you have any questions, just come back on this thread and ask.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: