Possible asbestos tiling?

Old 09-12-15, 07:22 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Possible asbestos tiling?

I do apologize if this comes up frequently. My husband and I are first time homebuyers and have bought a home that was built in 1945. We have ceiling tiling in all the bedrooms and the kitchen. A few of the rooms you can tell were "updated" in the 70's to textured ceilings. I wanted to know if these tiles looked like tiles someone has come across that did or did not contain asbestos. I want to get a Home Depot testing kit but I'm afraid to break it up in order to send it out and I see varying reviews on the $40 testing kits :/Name:  image.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  21.2 KB

Last edited by Laciel; 09-12-15 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Photo not clear
Old 09-12-15, 07:28 PM
L
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  18.5 KB
First photo is not very clear 😓

Old 09-12-15, 08:18 PM
H
Welcome to the forum! It really is impossible to say from a photo if this contains asbestos or not. As for the kit you are referring to I can't give you an opinion one way or the other as to whether it is good or not as I have never seen it. There are professional companies that will come and test that usually do a good job and can be found at your states department of environment website. They don't endorse these companies they just give a list we had to get our rental house lead tested which is the reason I knew about this.

As for where you can find asbesttos it can be in about anything including joint compound on walls and in ceramic tiles and its grout. Also floor tiles too a professional tester will know exactly what to look for. If you find asbestos then you need to get a professional remediation company to take care of it, this is not a do it yourself job. Before I forget watch out for asbestos wrapped pipes they are the worst to have. Good luck to you!

Old 09-12-15, 08:42 PM
L
Thanks for your reply. I figured i wouldn't get an answer through pictures 😓 do you or anyone happen to know how dangerous it is sitting there? It's not broken or cracked which I have read is okay and to leave it alone until a professional sees it but I have read it also needs to be gone ASAP which is unsettling. After purchasing our first home we are broke for awhile. We also definitely have asbestos insulation which the inspector said was fine but we need to blow more insulation in since we are not insulated enough.

Old 09-13-15, 03:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The danger with asbestos is with inhalation. As long as it isn't sanded or degraded where it can get airborne there really isn't much danger .... not that it's something you just want to ignore

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 09-13-15, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree, while it isn't something that is an immediate danger, it does warrant checking out, even if it were to require professional assessment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: