Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Basement remodel - Drywall questions on high strength vs reg, 8' vs 12', etc

Old 11-30-15, 08:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

The background - Previously finished basement that I'm redoing. Home built in 1977. I have a daylight basement that I've already turned into a full walkout. Poured foundation with stucco type skim coat over it. 7' (seven foot) stud walls with paneling over them. Drywall ceiling.

The current - paneling removed from all walls, studs left in place, ceiling left as is. Exposed exterior walls have been "cut and cobble" insulation with rigid 3" in each stud cavity. Underground foundation walls have been fiberglass insulation in place. All lighting redone with new cans/leds, low voltage wire ran where applicable (ethernet, coax and speaker).

Now it is time to hand the sheetrock. My questions are more geared toward PRODUCT not how to. I have hung plenty in the past but have paid (and will this time as well someone else to do the finish work).

For starters - Given that I have full 36" door exterior access and a straight run in I can easily bring in 12' sheets. Also since the walls are 7' using 8' sheets vertical gains me nothing...i'm cutting one way or another. Plan is to use 1/2" in 4x12' sheets. Thoughts?

My biggest product question centers around "standard" versus "ultralight" versus the "high strength" varieties. What advantage, if any, does using the high strength provide? Are these typically used for ceilings or other conditions where they would be parallel to the floor?

Thanks in advance. I tried to search for previous threads about the same subject but found none.

Old 11-30-15, 09:12 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,183 Upvotes on 1,141 Posts
Go with the 4x12 sheets if your walls are longer than 8' and hang them horizontally, leaving 1/2" space under the lower panel to prevent it from wicking up moisture on the floor.

Regular drywall is fine, the other stuff you mention generally only matters on ceilings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: