Asbestos popcorn ceiling sealing?

Old 02-06-16, 05:22 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asbestos popcorn ceiling sealing?

Hi, I'm a total newbie to any DIY or home improvements at all, but have just become the owner of my little dream home which is in need of some updates.

There's just one dark cloud on the sky: Asbestos in the ceilings and floor tiles. I knew this when purchasing the place though, and despite winding myself up at times by Googling scary articles, I'm mostly comfortable with it, having done both a management survey and a satisfactory air test telling me the risk is low.

But for that extra peace of mind, I would like to have some extra layer put onto those scary popcorn ceilings, and was wondering if anyone here could give some advice or thoughts on what the best/safest solution?

My two alternatives now seem to be:

1) Use this "et150" paint that is supposed to give a rubber-like coating ET150 . I have actually gotten some quotes from asbestos removal companies for doing this work. They're all around 1000 which seems a bit high to me for basically just painting the ceilings of a 60m^2 property, assuming of course there isn't much benefit to having a licensed asbestos contractor do it rather than just an experienced painter... or even myself trying to get some experience in painting

2) Get the thing plastered over first, then paint the nicer-looking flat ceiling. Any downsides to this, anyone could think of? (except for the obvious one that you'll need to be really careful not to accidentally scrape the original coating when applying the plaster.

Or perhaps a combination of both? As in skim *and* use the encapsulant rather than regular paint. Even though that might be a bit overkill...

Any helpful advice much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-16, 03:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You don't need a special paint to encapsulate asbestos popcorn, most any paint will do it. If the popcorn has never been painted there is a high likelihood that some of it will fail off when you paint it IMO the best solution is to scrape off the texture, repair the drywall as needed, prime and paint.

The best way to remove the popcorn is to wet it first, I like using a pump up garden sprayer and then take a wide drywall knife and start scraping. Asbestos is only dangerous in dry powdery form [where you can inhale the dust] so as long as it stays damp there is no danger. Obviously some precaution is advised and some jurisdictions have restrictions on it's disposal.

Popcorn can't be skimmed over without removing it first. The act of apply joint compound or plaster over it will knock it loose.

Old 02-09-16, 04:01 PM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A friend in the trades, but not my trade said that down in Los Angeles they, but he did not say who "they" are, they are spreading a coat over popcorn then texturing it. Scares me. Anyone heard of such a thing? Sure would be easy if true.

Old 02-09-16, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can't help with the encapsulation.
If you're not doing this for appearance, and only want to "contain" the asbestos, I would just leave it alone. Friable asbestos is only dangerous when disturbed and particles go airborne.
This is similar to lead based paint in homes, leave it be unless there is remodeling involved.