Stairs refinishing question

Old 02-24-16, 02:32 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 76
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stairs refinishing question

Hello, we want to rip out the carpet on the steps and resurface the wood underneath. As you can see in the pictures, the wall on the bottom portion of the steps is only the height of the steps themselves and needs repaired/replaced. Is there a term for this section of the stairs? And is there a standard way to repaor/replace this peice? Thanks!

Name:  20160224_172309.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  26.3 KBName:  20160224_172300.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  19.7 KBName:  20160224_172252.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  19.9 KBName:  20160224_172243.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  17.3 KB
Old 02-25-16, 02:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,409
Received 785 Upvotes on 688 Posts
Do you know what type of wood is under the carpet? Here in the southeast it's common for stairs built to be covered with carpet to be constructed out of pine or even plywood. A piece of 1x [3/4" thick] cut to fit will replace the missing piece of wood.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: