Fire proofing garage

Old 07-31-16, 05:36 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fire proofing garage

Hello.

An inspector asked that I repair the breach in the fire barrier between the garage and living space (walls and ceiling).

Now, my question is, do I only need to do the ceiling and the walls facing the living area? Two of the walls face the outside of the house. One is the door wall and the other is the east side of the house (next to the outside).

I tried reading the code, but I wasn't sure. Thanks in adviace!

Old 07-31-16, 05:51 PM
C
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Usually that's the case, but your inspector can best tell you what he/she will approve.

Old 07-31-16, 05:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the forums! If the fire barrier is breached, it is usually in the attic space. You must have access between the two, but it must be sealed with a door or other closure that can be accessed by fire personnel. You must also have a fire rated door and self closing feature where there is an entrance from the garage to a living space.

You may want to post pictures of the common wall and common attic area. Once we see what you and the inspector saw, we can offer better advice. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-01-16, 03:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
It isn't uncommon for the 'wall' between the garage attic and the rest of the house to be sealed off with drywall. Each attic would have it's own access hole. Not all jurisdictions require drywall in the attic but the common wall is always 5/8" drywall and if the attic wall isn't drywalled then the ceiling must be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: