Quarter Inch Drywall

Old 08-06-16, 11:17 AM
G
Gen
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Quarter Inch Drywall

My office has wainscoat on the lower half. The upper half has wall paper that I want removed.

Knowing that removing wall paper is a potentially painful crap shoot, I want to consider 1/4" drywall over it. It's less than 100 sq ft of area.

Wanted to know how difficult 1/4" is. Does it transport and handle easy enough? Does it break too easily? etc????

I'd consider 3/8" --but it may encroach the window trim and cap of the wainscoat too much. Thanks!

Old 08-06-16, 11:29 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It doesn't break if you just look at it sideways, but it does require more care than 1/2", say. When I'm transporting it in a short bed pickup or trailer I take a piece of 3/4 plywood and pile it on that for support; a few 2x4's would also work. Best to have two people to carry it, especially if you have to go around corners or manage stairs, just to avoid bending it too much or whacking the corners against stuff.

Have you thought about how you will deal with resetting the trim, etc, to account for the added thickness?

Hopefully, if it's an office, whoever installed the wallpaper knew enough to prime the sheetrock before installing the paper. If so, it will likely come off fairly cleanly.

Old 08-06-16, 07:46 PM
G
Gen
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Thanks...I guess I might try wall paper removal first and see if it's easier.

Old 08-07-16, 03:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
I've seen new drywall prepped incorrectly for wallpaper in both residential and commercial so there is no guarantee it was done right BUT I'd still try to strip the paper first because if it does come off decent you've saved yourself a LOT of work. Generally scoring the paper and then misting it with water will help with the removal process.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: