Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Ceiling prep for textured ceiling spray

Old 08-20-16, 02:12 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Hi!

I just finished applying spray foam to our basement rim joists. I have replaced the ceiling with new drywall and am planning on spraying (with a hopper sprayer) with CGC Synko "Span-Tex" (https://www.usg.com/content/usgcom/e...g-texture.html).

My question: How smooth / finished should the ceiling be in terms of sanding / finishing Will any imperfections should through into the texture? Do the seams have to be well finished? This is what the Span-Tex looks like, I want to match it with this picture: Name:  DSC04728.jpg
Views: 3013
Size:  35.2 KB

Since the Span-Tex is quite random, I am thinking that it would hide imperfections somewhat, but how much is the question I'm asking. Anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-16, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 498 Votes on 457 Posts
It should be perfectly smooth before applying the texture. Unless you want to see all the edges that should have been skimmed and sanded.

Old 08-20-16, 02:34 PM
H
Thanks for the quick reply. I was wondering if the straight line of the seams would show up if they are not smoothed out, sounds like they will be visible.

Old 08-20-16, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
Dips will still appear as dips (shadows) and sharp edges will still be seen. A splatter texture (like you pictured) does not cover 100% and is not a good way to hide a poor job. Acoustical texture is a little more forgiving, but you still want a pretty smooth surface.

Old 08-20-16, 02:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 203 Posts
..... and it's better to spend a little extra time now getting the finish right than having to go back and fix it after it's textured or see the defects every time you enter the room.

Old 08-20-16, 02:43 PM
H
Good points... thanks gentlemen! Any other advice? You guys sound like you know what you are talking about.

Old 08-20-16, 02:46 PM
H
I have another post related to the job, maybe you can give me some insight on my question.

Old 08-20-16, 02:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Using a sanding pole to do most of the sanding will help you achieve a flat finish as the pole sander holds the sandpaper flat .... unlike holding folded sandpaper in your hand. Be sure to remove the sanding dust prior to applying the texture.

Old 08-20-16, 02:50 PM
H
I should apply a primer to the ceiling first before applying the texture, correct?

Old 08-20-16, 02:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Depends on who you talk to

The texture will dry at a more even rate if the drywall is primed first but the texture needs primer before you apply paint. I've always skipped priming before texture and primed after the texture dries.

Old 08-20-16, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
It's always a good idea, yes.

Old 08-20-16, 03:02 PM
H
Should primer be sprayed onto the texture or rolled on?

Old 08-20-16, 03:07 PM
H
I have to decide if I'm going to prime before I spray texture or not... but if I'm going to paint the entire ceiling anyways, maybe I should prime after I texture. Otherwise I would have to prime before and after the texture.. I hope I'm making sense, LOL!

Old 08-21-16, 03:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Having to prime the texture is the main reason I don't prime prior to applying the texture. While the texture will dry at a more even rate if applied over primer, it doesn't affect how it adheres to the drywall. Texture over primer will dry a little slower.

It doesn't really matter if the primer is sprayed or rolled although I'm not fond of spraying in an occupied dwelling as the effort required to contain the overspray is often more than eats up the time saved applying the primer/paint.

Old 08-21-16, 07:01 AM
Group Moderator
I have had a couple bad experiences painting ceilings where very old texture has come off the ceiling... (looked fine when i left) peeling away from the drywall as the paint dried and it absorbed the new coat of paint. (Had pulled away and peeled when I came back and it was dry) I always assumed it was because the texture was applied over an unprimed or dusty surface... but I guess there could have been another factor, like a roof leak or something that caused the texture to lose its bond with the drywall.

Old 08-21-16, 08:20 AM
H
Thanks so much gentlemen for the great advice! I appreciate it. I think I am going to apply the texture to the fresh drywall area then prime and paint.

Old 08-21-16, 09:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Textured ceiling or wall is a great idea... especially if you put the wall ceiling dry-wall yourself. Excluding professionals, drywall is extremely difficult to put up without having any obvious imperfections. My lady and I learned that first hand haha

Anyways, good luck

Old 08-21-16, 10:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I have had a couple bad experiences painting ceilings where very old texture has come off the ceiling... (looked fine when i left) peeling away from the drywall as the paint dried and it absorbed the new coat of paint.
Often texture is left unpainted and unpainted texture will degrade over time because of the humidity in the air. Adding wet paint to it often makes it turn loose both because of the moisture being added to the texture and the added weight. I've never seen texture come loose solely because of the drywall not being primed prior to the texture being applied. Texture [or paint] applied over dust won't get a good bond with the drywall.

Old 08-21-16, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Often texture is left unpainted and unpainted texture will degrade over time because of the humidity in the air. Adding wet paint to it often makes it turn loose
This ceiling had already been painted, so thats what made me suspect poor adhesion of the texture.

Old 08-21-16, 10:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The odds are someone neglected to sweep the dust off of the drywall before the texture was sprayed A remote possibility is the texture came close to freezing as it dried which would also make for a poor bond.