Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

"Span-Tex" Spray Ceiling Texture - blend in old with new?

Old 08-20-16, 02:40 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I have removed part of our downstairs office drywall ceiling to spray the rim joists of the room. There is a forced-air furnace ducting in the room that is framed, drywalled and spray textured with CGC Synko "Span-Tex" and it remains in the room (https://www.usg.com/content/usgcom/e...g-texture.html).

I have replaced the drywalled ceiling with new drywall and am planning on respraying the replaced part with "Span-Tex" so that they blend in. The new horizontal drywall meets the old "Span-tex" ducting drywall at a 90 degree angle. Here is a picture: Name:  20160820_152447_resized.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  17.9 KB

This is what the "Span-tex" looks like: Name:  DSC04728.jpg
Views: 2622
Size:  35.2 KB

Last edited by Howitzer; 08-20-16 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-20-16, 02:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 383 Posts
Are you texturing the entire ceiling? if so, a slight texture difference between the ceiling and walls won't be that noticeable. It only needs to be almost perfect if you are only texturing part of a ceiling or part of a wall.

Old 08-20-16, 02:56 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I was thinking I would only spray texture the new part (labelled "New Drywall Area" in the pic above) so it matched the old, present "Span-Tex" section. I might have to paint the entire room ceiling after the texture on the new part has dried (new and old)... is this a good idea?

Old 08-20-16, 03:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 383 Posts
What I see in the pic is a flat not yet textured ceiling next to a textured bulkhead. Since it's not the same flat ceiling any texture differences won't be as noticeable. You often have to paint the entire ceiling to get everything the same color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: