Painting over white walls in bedroom

Old 10-17-16, 07:12 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Painting over white walls in bedroom

Hi, I just moved into a much larger apartment. My bedroom has a lot of potential with high ceilings, dark pine wood floors, and two 34x84" windows. I'm not sure how crazy this sounds but there is white crown molding that is at the base of the baseboards that surround the room and the actual baseboard itself is about 6" up from the molding of trim around it. Above that is about two feet of wall space that leads to a 2" trim panel that divides the lower half of the wall from the top half that extends up to the ceiling. It is an old house with a lot of charm, and another unique area is a closed off fireplace that is sectioned off by the wall, but you can see the entire outline of the fireplace as it is sectioned off by trim that extends an inch out from the wall. Right now the walls are white. I know this room has a lot of potential and I am thinking of a gray palette, a lighter silver for the top half and a darker "slate" color for the bottom half, leaving the trim a sheen white to separate the two colors. This would be my first time painting over white, what is the best type of paint and how many coats should I plan on? How does painting over whit effect your color scheme? I am very much open to other ideas as well regarding the trim, high baseboards, and unique space where the fireplace had once been (which is in the very corner of the wall). Please let express any opinions you may have and what considerations should I take in when painting over white? Again this is my bedroom and I'm looking for rich color but also not too dark on the larger upper half of the wall. Thanks!

Old 10-17-16, 07:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Eleana!

You said apartment so I assume that means you are renting ?? if so, you need to keep the landlord in the loop and make sure he is ok with any color changes.

Good quality paint generally covers better than it's cheaper counterpart. The quality of the paint is only part of the equation as a lot is also dependent on what type of coating is currently on the wall. It's easier to get quick coverage over flat paint versus enamels. Normally primer isn't needed when recoating walls although sometimes a primer can facilitate coverage or be cheaper than multiple coats of finish paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: