Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Covering up cracked paint from drywall joint exposed after prior re-framing

Old 10-19-16, 08:24 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I had logged in, and spent so much time writing this and being distracted that I was auto-logged out and lost it all. Sigh...

I am in the process of replacing trim and repainting a bedroom that a devil-child lived in and abused (prior owner). At some point in the past this room was reconfigured and re-framed, leaving a drywall joint in the ceiling to be poorly covered up by paint, which is now cracked and cardboard-like to the touch (no water damage that I can tell).

What is the best way to cover up this joint prior to priming/repainting without major effort? I have sanding equipment, spackle, and fiberglass tape, but I feel the fiberglass would be pretty obvious even once painted. I don't want to get nice paint up there only to have it crack again in a few months.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-16, 08:28 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
Is the joint not supported? I'm concerned about this remark:
which is now ... cardboard-like to the touch
Assuming no problem there, I would use the mesh tape on the joint followed by a coat of setting compound then additional coats of joint compound to feather out the seam.

Old 10-19-16, 08:52 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It looks like the drywall screws are several inches from the edge of each sheet at this particular location. Perhaps the framing of the wall that was originally in-place provided support at the actual joint.

I've never used anything but spackle. Noted, though.

Old 10-19-16, 10:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Spackle or spackling is just for minor repairs. Joint compound is needed for larger repairs. A lot of us like the setting compounds because they dry faster and we can get done quicker.

pics could be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html