Ceiling crack

Old 10-22-16, 05:16 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ceiling crack

A few yrs ago we had our popcorn ceiling removed and the ceiling mudded and painted. The ceiling developed a hairline crack across the whole width a few yrs later. We had a drywall guy come and fix it even though he told us it would re crack because the drywall had not been staggered correctly along the seam. We cannot put a beam up to cover the crack because we have lights there and it would look weird to have a beam bisecting the living room. The crack is about 1/8 " wide and that is about how wide it was before. I read that I can use a modified silicone paintable caulk to fix this and that it is flexible and thus can fill this crack. Is this correct and if so, what is a good brand and what else do I need to know to do a good repair for this situation?
Thanks
Deb

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-16, 03:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
I'd advise against using caulk as it's next to impossible to make that type of repair with caulking and have the repair be invisible after painting. Most any siliconized acrylic latex caulk would work.

How was the repair made? was it taped? what is above the ceiling, another floor or attic?

Old 10-23-16, 06:41 AM
D
I think the repair guy just sparkled and re applied the mud and then painted. The room is a downstairs living room. An adjoining hall has the same crack but the kitchen on the other side of a supporting wall has never had a crack. Can you suggest a good latex product?

Old 10-23-16, 10:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A crack like that needs to be mudded and taped - like you would a drywall joint. Ideally you'd apply a thin layer of joint compound, press in paper tape and smooth it out with drywall knife then add 1-2 more coats of mud after it dries. If you use the mesh 'sticky' tape you need to coat it with a setting compound as it doesn't work well with just regular j/c.

For caulking I'm partial to the 'white lightning' brand of caulking but even if you smooth the caulk out with a putty knife the seam will show.

Old 10-23-16, 03:03 PM
T
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Google fibafuss. It is a fiberglass mat, not mesh. They make joint tape. I think they might make a wider tape. Maybe just maybe wider tape would hold better. And maybe just maybe some additional screws along the joint would help.

Old 10-23-16, 03:06 PM
T
Google fibafuse
. It is a fiberglass mat, not mesh. They make joint tape. I think they might make a wider tape. Maybe just maybe wider tape would hold better. And maybe just maybe some additional screws along the joint would help.

Old 10-23-16, 05:40 PM
D
ceiling crack

There is a 2' and 6' fibafuse tape...the mat you are talking about. Which width should I get? I can apply this directly on top of what is there now?

Old 10-24-16, 03:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's just a narrow crack the 2" tape should be fine. I've never used fibafuse but assume it's done just like regular paper tape. Hopefully TC will have time to respond later.

Old 10-24-16, 03:08 PM
T
FibaFuse is used like paper tape. With a little adjustment it can be used with taping machines. I do almost exclusively repairs and restorations behind plumbers. I use FibaFuse almost exclusively, on everything but angles where I still like paper. One advantage is it is blister proof. If an area is a little dry more mud can be squoze through the fibers to stick it down. I think it is a little thinner than paper but I have never put a mic on the two. On patches less than about a foot square I use one sheet of the wide stuff to cover the whole patch. I think it is faster than taping four sides of a patch.
My reasoning for wider than 2" tape is that maybe, just maybe wider tape will have more surface on each side of the crack to adhere to the panels and it might hold the sides together better. Maybe this lid was done by running the boards parallel to the joists. More screws might help. Maybe it was just done without staggering the end joints. More screws might help in this case too.
If one could get above the lid he could screw some plywood spanning the joint between the joists, maybe even with some adhesive. I bet that would hold it. But it must be inaccessible from above and probably lands on a joist anyway.

Old 10-26-16, 04:14 PM
D
ceiling crack

Thanks for the replies....I will try this wider Fibafuse a
nd hope for a good outcome!