Help With Fixing a Wall Opening

Old 01-14-17, 08:09 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help With Fixing a Wall Opening

In my kitchen I have an opening that leads to bathroom on one side and a small room on the other. Without any trim, it looks like something that belongs to a communist block... I also have a door (pictured) ten feet to the left and thought that it would be good idea if I bought a matching door frame kit and install it around the opening.

The problem is that the top of the opening is not leveled. The difference in height between left and right side is about half an inch.

What is the correct method of leveling the top of the opening?

Thanks in advance.

Best

B.

Name:  20170114_102931[1].jpg
Views: 226
Size:  19.9 KBName:  20170114_102915[1].jpg
Views: 190
Size:  21.0 KB

Old 01-14-17, 08:39 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
For it to be that far off in that short a distance, I'd be checking the floor to see how out of level it is.
Older home tend to settle low in the middle.
Easiest way to make it look level is to remove the outside corners and sheetrock at the top, shim until it's level and resheetrock.

Old 01-14-17, 08:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
What you have is called a wrapped opening and it is fairly common. If you want to install a door in the opening then there is no reason to level out the header. The door would either be made to fit inside the opening and then shimmed to level it out, or the drywall/plaster and corner bead would be removed and the door shimmed to the framing. Bad side is the left side of the opening does not look like there is anything for a door frame to attach to. That might need to be framed out.

If you just wanted to level out the header and leave it as a wrapped opening the easiest way would be to remove the header corner bead and possibly the drywall/plaster. Then, add some shims to the framing and install some new drywall that is close to level. Next install some new corner beads that are level and finish with tape, mud, and paint.

Old 01-14-17, 10:10 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Ort you could just install a door jamb but no door. Level the top of the door jamb. You really don't need to fill the gap in that case, just shim. Trim on both sides will hide it. Easier than fooling with Sheetrock and matching old paint and texture (IMHO). Door jamb can be bough larger than opening and cut to fit if width isn't standard.

Old 01-14-17, 11:05 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you to all who replied.

I intend to keep it as a wrapped opening, but installing the wood trim kit I already bought around it. No idea how it ended up crooked: The floor is perfectly leveled.

Old 01-14-17, 01:41 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If the opening isn't square the 45° cuts on the trim kit won't work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: