Air gap for wood stove

Old 02-28-17, 11:23 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Air gap for wood stove

We're planning to install concrete backer board to the wall studs using 1 inch spacers to create an air gap for a wood burning stove. On the backer board, we'll mortar 2 inch patio stone.

My question is, what do I use, or how can I close the gap that's left from the spacers?

To clarify, the normal wall is up against the studs, the concrete board will be 1 inch from the studs...so there's a 1 inch opening that needs to be closed up but how and using what? I would like the stone to cover the gap but how do I attach a thing for the stone to adhere to in that 1 inch space?

Old 02-28-17, 12:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I don't know a whole lot about creating an airspace wall behind a wood stove other than it allows the stove to be closer to the wall. I always thought that the air space had to be open and you'd install the drywall [or any non combustible material] directly to the studs and then have the air space between the drywall and the cement board.

How is the floor framed under the stove? or is it a concrete slab? That much patio stone will be a good bit of weight.

Old 02-28-17, 03:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If you are speaking of the space to the sides and top of the stove, use metal studs against the stove on the sides and across the top. You can't have a combustible material within 2" of the box. Attach the cbu to the wooden studs and across to the metal ones, ending right at the box. That should give you plenty of support for your stone.

Edit After re reading the OP, I see it is a backer for a free standing stove, not a fireplace. However, the same advice may prevail. Use metal studs and you won't have to worry about an air space.

Last edited by chandler; 02-28-17 at 04:34 PM. Reason: modify advice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: