Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Adding a wall to existing finished room - How to tackle taping?

Old 03-06-17, 10:15 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We have a large finished room and have gone in and framed out new walls for a rec room/bathroom.

When it comes time to drywall, we were going to push it up against the existing ceiling/walls and screw them on.

When it comes time to tape, should I tape where the wall hits the ceiling and where it intersects with existing finished walls? Or can I use caulking? I am concerned about taping where the existing ceiling is textured that re-texturing will be impossible to blend, plus I would need to remove the texture material before taping to have an even surface.. along with many inches out to blend.

We are predicting bundles of fun dry-walling because we know some walls have a 1.5" height change over 14'.

How would you handle this? Thanks for any tips!

Name:  walls.jpg
Views: 3801
Size:  31.6 KB

Old 03-06-17, 10:35 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just one of the reasons I hate textured ceilings

You could avoid the whole issue by deciding to put up crown molding.

But if you don't want to go that route, I'd bite the bullet, scrape off a couple of inches of texture (really not that hard with a hook scraper), and tape it. You don't need a perfect blend on the ceiling, assuming you will retexture the strip. Texture will hide minor imperfections in the taping, as long as you don't have a big ridge of compound.

Old 03-06-17, 10:58 AM
D

I'm finding more info on this as I dig deeper.. sounds like flat taping might help and it also sounds like there are some kind of edge pieces you can put on the drywall but Im not finding an actual product.

EDIT** Vinyl Mudable J bead?

Also, crown isnt an option as the back side of the large room opens to a staircase which is open to above.. hard to describe but it would look weird.

Last edited by Dana Francey; 03-06-17 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-06-17, 12:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
All flat taping does is give you a nice straight edge where the drywall meets the ceiling [or whatever] While you could then caulk it to the ceiling you run the risk of the joint opening up later. It's best to scrape off the ceiling texture as needed and tape/finish then touch up the texture.

Crown molding can still be used, you just need to figure out where is the best spot to terminate it. Are you saying the ceiling height slants up/down 1.5"? Crown works best with a straight ceiling.

Old 03-06-17, 01:29 PM
W
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Drywall

Hang the drywall horizontally starting at the top. Measure the required height of the bottom sheet(s) at each end of the sheet and cut to fit. Minor variations will be covered by the base board.

Old 03-07-17, 06:29 AM
D
Im not sure if it is 100% ceiling vs. foundation floor, but from one end to another on a 14' run the studs gradually become 1.5" shorter. It makes me think Ill have issues getting the drywall up evenly against the ceiling.

Lets assume I am not scraping the ceiling - Is there a product that would assist in meeting the ceiling with a clean line?

I am seeing a couple products:
Tear Away L-Bead: Tear Away L Bead | Trim-Tex | Drywall Products
I cannot find a single useful video of this stuff to know if I can use it for my purpose.

Strait-Flex Edge Tape WR: Edge-Tape WR
Not sure if this product would let me blend out the bevel in the drywall towards the ceiling. I would probably need to hang drywall vertical for this stuff.

Are there other options I have missed and have any of you used these products?

Old 03-07-17, 06:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 826 Posts
You don't need any special product. There is no magic wand to make this easier, in fact, anything other than plain old flat paper tape will make it harder.

If your ceiling is wavy, it will be because you didn't think about checking it before you started framing.

Old 03-07-17, 07:34 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Regarding the slope, if you are mounting the rock horizontally, just mark a level line starting 48 " down from the highest spot in the entire run and measure up from each end for each piece to mark the tapered cut. No problem.

If you are dead against taping the top corner, just go to a sheetrock supply house and get J bead. You can get metal or paintable plastic. Fasten it in place tight against the ceiling and slip the drywall into it as you go. It's the same as you would do for sheetrock against a brick wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: