Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Why cracks on inner wall to the basement? Please help take a look

Old 03-15-17, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

The wall besides the stairs to basement starts to show some cracks, 6 feet long horizontally, 1.5 fee vertically.

Concerned what is causing these cracks, we did renovation and painting about 4.5 years ago. This is the first time this happens.

Please help shed light if any experience.

Thanks a lot

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-17, 05:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Cracks always mean movement. Cracks at 90 degrees to each other are usually along seams of the drywall. Did you tape the seams before mudding them?

Old 03-15-17, 06:31 PM
No. I did not do anything. The crack looks more of a paint crack, could this be of paint? We did not touch the wall since the renovation from 4.5 years ago.

Old 03-15-17, 06:35 PM
Actually I am not sure whether these are paint or wall crack, when the renovation wad done 4.5 years ago, this wall just re-painted. the dry wall was done long before we moved in. Not sure why all of a sudden these cracks.

Old 03-15-17, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 45 Posts
That looks kind of severe for minor settling. Is this an outside wall or is it living space on the other side of the wall?

Old 03-16-17, 02:04 AM
I'm an amateur DIYer but if I saw that in my house I would open the wall up right away and look for movement, and check it the plumb too. That really looks like something is pushing inward.

Old 03-16-17, 02:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
It's not paint cracks. Are you sure it's drywall? it kind of looks like plaster that is coming loose. Any signs of moisture damage? water stains? I'd remove what is loose, reevaluate and then come up with a plan of attack.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 03-16-17, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the reply.

This way goes down to basement. There is room in the back of the wall, where I do not see any sign of movement, crack or stain. The house is relatively old (probably more than 50 years), we moved in about 5 years ago. Wall repainted during the renovation about 4.5 years ago, this is the first time such problem. This is a interior wall.

I will remove the paste as suggested here and see whether I can find anything.

Thanks again for the reply.

Old 03-16-17, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Do I have this straight? On the other side of this wall is a room? And the other side of this wall is in good shape? Does it have the same finish as this wall?
This looks like plaster. Maybe gypsum plaster, maybe Portland cement plaster. If you push on the intersection of the two cracks is there some give? Any idea if this wall is poured concrete or concrete blocks?
I see you were going to take it off and have a look. It should come off easily. Put up some pictures of what you have.
If this is gypsum plaster it probably lost the bond maybe due to water and maybe just because the wall was too smooth to get a good bond (if it is poured). If it is block or brick then probably there is a moisture problem which seems unlikely if there is a room on the other side of the wall. What is above this wall?
If I am right that this is plaster then the fix is easy but you need to do some prevention before you cover it up.
I guess it could be drywall applied directly to the wall.
It looks like whatever it is is coming loose so take off what is loose and report back.

Old 03-23-17, 01:14 PM
After reading the posting here, I decided not to open it but rather wait till summer to have some contractor to help open and fix it.

Thanks for help look at this. I will update when opened.

Yes. Back side of the wall is a room where no abnormal found on the wall.

Old 03-23-17, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 173 Posts
Please help shed light if any experience.
Do you have any kids? If so I bet there is a story behind this.

Old 03-28-17, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the reply. I do have two teenage girls but they rarely goes down to basement.

Old 03-29-17, 02:50 AM
I do have two teenage girls but they rarely goes down to basement.
Only takes once. Or maybe they had some boys over (it does happen), and they were having some innocent fun, and someone bumped into the wall.

If the other side is the same sheet as the one in the pictures and its fine then the finishing material (plaster) is coming off. If its not actually the same sheet, meaning there is another sheet on the other side (so its a completed wall) and its fine then either you had a tough squirrel inside determine to get out (I'm half joking), or something else inside that applied expanding pressure, or somehow significant more pressure (from a certain direction, for example from above) is being applied to that side of the wall causing it to burst outward.