Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Repairing a hole around light fixture on stucco/textured ceiling

Old 04-07-17, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Due to a roof leak, which eventually caused water to leak out, and damage the area around the light fixture. The roof is going to be replaced soon, so now I'm looking at repairing the damaged ceiling. [Imjur links redacted]

Name:  9LLn4oy.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  DzSAnRA.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  43.1 KB

Just wondering how one would go about fixing this? The ceiling drywall board is screwed directly to the trusses in the attic. While I do have attic access, that area is a pain in the ass to get to, and there are tons of insulation on top of it.

1. Normally, for drywalls, I would just cut the hole into a square, put two 1 x 3 furring strips behind and then screw a new piece of drywall into place. Can the same thing be done here? Just not too sure since it is around a light fixture and it is a popcorn ceiling. Not sure if I need to cut a 24 inch piece out (since that's how wide my rafters are) or if furring strips would do the trick.

2. How should I mud this? I will be removing about an inch of popcorn around the edges so I can tape it properly, but not quite sure how to "feather" with the texture on.

3. For repairing the texture, canned stuff is probably too messy for me, and I have no experience with it. How well do the stuff that you spread with a putty knife work? Not looking to make it perfect, as it is probably impossible, but I'm happy with "not too noticeable with a causal glance".

4. One idea that was thrown at me is just to seal the hole with plastic or something, and then use a ceiling medallion? Just wondering if this is workable.

Thanks.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-07-17 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Remove links to Imjur
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-17, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
1. Yep, that's pretty much it. You can replace a small square which will require furring strips or some other wood to bridge the gap and connect the sheetrock together or you can do a strip 24" wide to catch your rafters/trusses. If you span truss to truss I would do furring strips or blocks in the middle to help solidify the 20"+ long butt joints.

2. I would go for perfect as if you had a smooth finished ceiling. The big reason is you may not be able to match your popcorn texture, get frustrated with the look and scrape the popcorn off the whole ceiling and go smooth. Also, your popcorn texture is pretty thin so it won't cover many defects.

3. If you don't have a gun I would start by trying the aerosol popcorn spray. It works pretty well. I have never heard of a popcorn texture spread with a putty knife. Last and most expensive would be to buy or rent a popcorn gun and use an air compressor to shoot the texture.

4. That is a doable option. I would pick a simple medallion. Anything fancy or fru fru will look odd against a popcorn ceiling.

Old 04-07-17, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help.

Would prefer not to scrape off the whole ceiling. Since that's a huge undertaking.

I figure if it looks terrible, I can always just install a ceiling medallion. But would prefer to avoid the medallion route if possible, since it is a guest bedroom, and would look odd with a medallion while there isn't one anywhere else in the house.

Also, the non spray can stuff, from a youtube video

https://youtu.be/5S1arodjthw?t=1m51s

Old 04-07-17, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Taping and finishing is pretty well covered. I would first remove the fixture leaving only the box. Be safe. Then cut a new piece of rock large enough to suit you and about in the center cut the hole for the box. Then fit the piece over the box and draw around the piece and cut the ceiling to fit the patch. Use plywood or furing strips like you suggest. I would do it this way because it seems easier than cutting a hole, cutting a piece to fit and then trying to fit the piece and get a neat cut for the box.

Old 04-07-17, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Please do not use links to Imjur. You are basicly linking to advertising. Insert your images or use a site that gives a link to your actual image and nothing else. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html