Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

tub surround thinset mortar or latex mastic

Old 07-02-17, 11:30 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Thoughts on thinset mortar to bed ceramic tiles in a tub surround or latex mastic?

I read that the mastic will keep tiles from slipping.
I read that mastic isnt best for wet areas.

Mastic sounds more difficult to work with (stickier) and thinset would be more convenient as its also sealing the cement board joints.

Old 07-02-17, 02:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
Many people use the words "thinset" and "mastic" interchangeably. You'll have to say specifically which products you are considering.

Old 07-02-17, 02:44 PM
Received 460 Votes on 429 Posts
Mastic, glue, is the absolute worst produce for tile work, I have done a lot of tile work and gave it a try once, bad choice.

Dont let the concept of a glue being somehow easier to use that a cement based product, it's not!

Old 07-02-17, 03:23 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For example
Custom Building Products AcrylPro 1 Gal. Ceramic Tile Adhesive-ARL40001 - The Home Depot

Name:  IMG_3872.jpg
Views: 1515
Size:  48.4 KB

Or

Custom Building Products VersaBond Gray 50 lb. Fortified Thin-Set Mortar-MTSG50 - The Home Depot

Name:  IMG_3873.PNG
Views: 591
Size:  82.7 KB

And then... should an unmodified mortar be used for tile setting?
I can't really find that and I would rather just find a solid latex modified mortar which I can use to bed tape on the cement board joints, set tub surround tiles into, and set terra cotta floor tiles onto concrete slab with. Recommendations for a one size fits all?

Old 07-02-17, 03:36 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Use thinset mixed from a powder and nothing that is "ready mixed". "Ready Mixed" (Mastic) is not suitable for use in a wet location such as a bathroom and particularly not in a shower. My go to is called Ultralite by Mapei. It is sticky for wall applications and great for showers and tub surrounds. My go to for floors is Ultraflex II also by Mapei. I steer away from big box stores as who knows how long the product has been sitting around. In a pinch I tried the above brand and it wouldn't mix and had clumps in it while trying to use it. Sometimes, someone orders it, lets it sit for 6 months and then returns it. I get all my thinsets from a tile distributor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: