Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

tub surround thinset mortar or latex mastic

Old 07-02-17, 10:30 AM

Thoughts on thinset mortar to bed ceramic tiles in a tub surround or latex mastic?

I read that the mastic will keep tiles from slipping.
I read that mastic isnt best for wet areas.

Mastic sounds more difficult to work with (stickier) and thinset would be more convenient as its also sealing the cement board joints.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-17, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
Many people use the words "thinset" and "mastic" interchangeably. You'll have to say specifically which products you are considering.

Old 07-02-17, 01:44 PM
Mastic, glue, is the absolute worst produce for tile work, I have done a lot of tile work and gave it a try once, bad choice.

Dont let the concept of a glue being somehow easier to use that a cement based product, it's not!

Old 07-02-17, 02:23 PM
For example
Custom Building Products AcrylPro 1 Gal. Ceramic Tile Adhesive-ARL40001 - The Home Depot

Name:  IMG_3872.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  48.4 KB

Or

Custom Building Products VersaBond Gray 50 lb. Fortified Thin-Set Mortar-MTSG50 - The Home Depot

Name:  IMG_3873.PNG
Views: 355
Size:  82.7 KB

And then... should an unmodified mortar be used for tile setting?
I can't really find that and I would rather just find a solid latex modified mortar which I can use to bed tape on the cement board joints, set tub surround tiles into, and set terra cotta floor tiles onto concrete slab with. Recommendations for a one size fits all?

Old 07-02-17, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Use thinset mixed from a powder and nothing that is "ready mixed". "Ready Mixed" (Mastic) is not suitable for use in a wet location such as a bathroom and particularly not in a shower. My go to is called Ultralite by Mapei. It is sticky for wall applications and great for showers and tub surrounds. My go to for floors is Ultraflex II also by Mapei. I steer away from big box stores as who knows how long the product has been sitting around. In a pinch I tried the above brand and it wouldn't mix and had clumps in it while trying to use it. Sometimes, someone orders it, lets it sit for 6 months and then returns it. I get all my thinsets from a tile distributor.