Caulking timing

Old 07-02-17, 10:40 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Caulking timing

Hi All,

I'm hearing conflicting info on when to apply a silicone caulk bead during a tile project.

Is there any time when you should seal a location, then tile up to it?

It seems reasonable to tile up to a transition, then push caulking into the joint to get a full seal.

I'm referring to the joint between wall tile and sink top, tub apron and floor tile, bath surround and tub shoulder, etc.

Also, I currently have a tub in place on shims on slab. i'm afraid of it slipping during the remaining work (and with drain installed), so should I put a thin bead of silicone at the apron/slab joint to secure it (didn't get a chance to set the tub in plaster), then floor tile up to 1/8" shy and then push a final caulking bead in?

Or I could glue/caulk the backside of the apron via an access panel, any thoughts?

Thanks for all your advice.

Old 07-02-17, 11:56 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Personally I'd use latex caulk not silicone. It is easier to work with and cleanup. With latex just a damp sponge to remove excess and smooth before it dries. With silicon no easy way. Caulk is applied after tiling.

Old 07-02-17, 12:24 PM
B
Thanks, that sounds easier to use latex caulking.

Something I read recently said it doesn't get as good a bite in the joint as silicone, though.

Sounds like either is fine, I'll go with whatever is easiest for each application.

Old 07-02-17, 02:18 PM
B
Great advice
Thank you all for your support.

Attached Images   

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: