Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page > How to hang horizontal sheet rock on walls?

How to hang horizontal sheet rock on walls?

Old 05-02-01, 04:27 PM
Performin Norman
Visiting Guest
I have 9 foot ceilings in my basement and therefore purchased 54 inch sheetrock. I was wondering if I should hang the upper half first or the lower. The lower would be easier because we could use the top edge of the bottom sheet to hold the upper sheet in place. This would also reduce the chance of a compression pop. However, I can see that there may be other reasons to hang the top piece first.

Secondly, does it matter if there is a tapered edge on the ceiling piece that mates up (adjacent) to the upper wall piece and the wall piece does not have a taper on it? I will have to cut on 54" piece down no matter what. I was thinking that maybe the cut edge should be against the ground.

Thanks in advance for your help. This forum has some great people on it. I have posted a few questions and every one of them helped me out. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-01, 06:27 PM
Visiting Guest
You neglected to say if you were drywalling the ceiling which I assume you are.

Generally, you hang the ceiling first. Then the top sheet on the walls second with tape seam against the ceiling. The tape seam between the ceiling and wall is to allow for the taping and spackeling. Then hang the lower wall sheet with the cut side down. A taper seam at the bottom doesn't matter since you will be installing baseboard trim at that point. You definately want taper to taper seam in the middle of the wall for proper taping and spackeling.

By hanging the top wall sheet first you are assuring a tight fit and (in a way) the ceiling edge rests on the wall.

You will not have a tapered seam on all sides of the drywall so of course 2 of your walls will not meet to tapered edge ceiling sheets. The wall taper will work fine where the ceiling doesn't have the taper.

You should use drywall adhesive on the ceiling and even the walls if you worry about compression pops (nail pops). Also use drywall screws to limit the pops.

Hope this helps,

Old 05-02-01, 07:06 PM
Performin Norman
Visiting Guest
tej,
Thanks for your reply. I kind or mentioned that the ceiling was drywalled but was not really explicit. I have the ceiling done already. I will take your advice to heart. I appreciate it.

Old 05-08-01, 01:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Upper first and then the bottom goes up tight against it. There is ALWAYS gap at the floor.

Take a look: http://www.morethanacarpenter.bigste...68&PRID=181737

Search this Thread