Plaster wall cracks - serious or no?

Old 07-25-17, 10:05 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plaster wall cracks - serious or no?

I have a couple cracks in my wall, and reading up on the internet, I'm having trouble determining if these cracks are the superficial kind or more serious kind. I have one on the living room wall leading into the dining room. The crack is on a 45 degree angle moving upward left to right until it hits the ceiling. The 2nd crack is actually on the ceiling very near that first crack but not actually close enough to be connected to it. The third crack is in my dining room and it is running horizontal a few inches above the window frame parallel to it.

None of these cracks are big or deep, they are all hair thin. But I'm wondering if just patching them up is fine or if I should be worried about a bigger structural problem.

Old 07-26-17, 02:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It's hard to say, if it's structural the cracks will grow. They could still grow a little if it isn't structural. Temp and humidity can also play a part. I'd take the edge of a putty knife [screwdriver also works] and scratch a V down the cracks and fill with Durabond ...... and then keep an eye on it.

No need to worry until you are convinced there is a bigger problem

Old 07-26-17, 06:34 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Short answer is it's hard to know without history. You can start the history now by watching and seeing if they stay the same or grow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: