Basement Ceiling Access Panels

Old 08-14-17, 10:21 AM
Basement Ceiling Access Panels

I'll be putting drywall on the ceiling soon as part of a basement finishing project, and need to begin thinking about access panel to specific places and have a few questions.

1. Is it best to actually box frame the area and then sheet rock around that? Or simply sheet the entire section, and then cut the hole for the access panel? ie, does the access panel need to be nailed or screwed into lumber?

2. I know I will need to allow for access to a water valves, gas valves, and PVC pipe clean outs. But I think it is OK to cover up without access to a HVAC damper in the piping?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-17, 05:11 PM
There is no requirement to provide an access opening. When I did my basement, I just took really good measurements for everything in the ceiling and if I ever need to open it up I'll know where to go. If I'm lucky to not need access then the instructions will be there for new owners!

Old 08-15-17, 02:31 AM
Google plumbing access panels for lots of ideas. Most of the affordable ones are plastic with spring wires that attach to a simple hole cut in the drywall, no framing needed.

Yes, access to HVAC dampers is strongly recommended.

Old 08-16-17, 12:10 PM
@Marq1

I was under the impression that it is code/required to provide access to items such as water and gas valves? What if you need to turn off the gas or water to an appliance?

Old 08-16-17, 12:26 PM
I just took really good measurements for everything
I've got the map, I can find everything!