repair on textured ceiling

Old 05-03-01, 09:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I had a leak coming from a bathroom on 2nd level which has caused some damage to a drywall textured ceiling (swirl Pattern) below on the 1st floor. I have one area that has about a 1" diameter hole and a couple of cracks.

How do I fix the hole and cracks and what is the best way to repaint?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-01, 10:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hello,

Your question is hard to answer. You may or may not be able to simple fill the hole with spackle, 1" is getting pretty large though. If the hole is too big to easily fill, you may need to cut out a square piece of rock, usually to the nearest joists, and replace it. If you have never done any mud work, you can find basic how-to tips here or at any number of home-repair related sites.

The damage to the texture may be difficult to repair perfectly, but you can probably get a fairly close match. First scrape off all damaged, or peeling paint or mud. Don't try to apply new texture material to loosely connected paint or paper.

You probably are going to have to experiment on what texture tool will give you the closest match. Their are many different types of application methods, and its more art than science trying to match old textures. If your texture is "swirly" you'll probably need to get a stiff brush texture tool and play with wiping mud on in a circular pattern.

Good Luck-