Can I just Use Finishing Plaster?

Old 09-05-17, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I just Use Finishing Plaster?

I am a new homeowner. This weekend I removed a wall of close to 150 Mirror Tiles that were aggressively adhered to my plaster walls. The result is that tons of the plaster came off with the mirrors. I have no clue where to go from here. There is so much plaster that was ripped off. Am I able to simply use finishing plaster/spackle to repair the damage?

My main concern is that there is what appears to be a brittle cement type base where the plaster has ripped off. I've done some research, but am seeing conflicting opinions. I'm really at a loss here. I have attached two pictures below. The first shows the wall from further out to give you an idea of how patchy it really is. The second is a close up of the cement mix i'm seeing to give you an idea of the texture.

Any ideas on how to fix this mess would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-17, 01:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
I'd scrape off anything loose and cover it with joint compound. Plaster or setting compound for the first coat or two would be ok but that stuff's tough to sand so I would finish with joint compound regardless.

Old 09-05-17, 01:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Because I have no actual plaster experience I use drywall products when I repair plaster. I generally use Durabond both because it dries quickly and is hard similar to plaster. Some prefer to use regular joint compound as there is no mixing and it's easier to sand - it may take longer if you have to apply 2 coats. Unlike Durabond it can't be applied thickly.

Old 09-05-17, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Give it a good scrape, scrape off all that glue as much as possible. Mix light weight joint compound (taping mud) with some vermiculite for your first coat to cover all the gaps etc. Let it dry overnight and sand down any lap marks then use just joint compound only on your second coat. Skim the entire wall on the 1st and 2nd coat. Sand again and hopefully you'll have a smooth wall.