Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

How Do I Mount a TV and/or Shelving to Drywall Over Concrete?

Old 10-07-17, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi forum!

My NYC apartment, in a building constructed in 1978, has drywall over concrete in some parts of the apartment (but not all.) I imagine this is due to necessary structural support.

I'm attempting to hang mountable shelving (Container Store ELFA system) and may later mount a flat screen TV). The ELFA system is a simple setup: one horizontal track, supposed to be mounted into studs or via drywall anchors, and two long, vertical (84") hanging standards which are suspended from the top track. It requires only 4 anchor/screws in the horizontal track. but I've discovered that I cannot use standard drywall anchors because there is a 3/4" layer of drywall over concrete, with approximately 1" of space (is this furring?) between the drywall and concrete.

What is the best way for me to anchor this system given this arrangement? Should I drill into the masonry with a masonry bit and then use concrete screws to hold the system in place?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-17, 07:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it's too heavy for toggle bolts, I'd go with concrete anchors in the poured concrete.

Old 10-07-17, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
That's not an ideal project for that type of wall. Masonry anchors would work but you will have approx and 1-3/4" unsupported from your bracket to the concrete. That puts a lot of stress on the screw.

It sounds like it's furred out and that may have been done to increase wall depth for the electrical boxes. Possibly try to locate and use the furring strips.

In the event you opt to mount directly into the concrete you'd need to use an expanding sleeve anchor. This type of fastener locks harder as you pull on it. You'll need fairly deep ones requiring drilling with masonry bit and possibly a hammer drill based on how hard the concrete is.

Name:  sleeve.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  14.4 KB

Old 10-08-17, 12:01 AM
Thank you for that.

Yes, I was concerned about the unsupported bit, with so much space between concrete and the wall mount. The manufacturer recommends simple concrete screws but that seems iffy to me. Locating the furring strips is proving difficult, though.

Old 10-08-17, 01:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
If you have a receptacle on that wall..... take the plate off and look for wood. If the furring strips were added for the boxes.... you may see one there.