Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Cut concrete footing in basement load bearing wall

Old 10-26-17, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Got a bit of an odd situation (at least, I've never seen it before in a house) and figured one of the gurus here would have an idea, since you guys have helped with so many other things I've seen here (thanks, by the way!).

It's similar to the post here:

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/b...out-floor.html and it runs the entire length of my basement, save for the one opening when you get to the bottom of the stairs.

This footing, under the bottom plate of the entire load bearing wall, is about 4"x4" in size - we want to cut a section of studs that are 16" apart to make a doorway. Assuming we just add the appropriate additional studs and a header/beam to support the joists, any ideas how we'd remove this long run of concrete?

I was thinking of using an angle grinder with a diamond blade to cut either side of the would-be doorway, but not sure how I'd cut the horizontal bottom side to separate it from the floor. I guess a sledgehammer once it's cut, as to not chip or crack the rest of the footing that continues on?

I'll try to upload some pics, but hopefully what I described makes sense.

Update: found the attachment button :/

So the pic with the little green mat is the bottom of the stairs for a good look at the footing and joists, and then the other 2 pics are kind of just where we want to cut the door - sorry about all the boxes, we moved in a few months ago and apparently still have a lot of unpacking to do!

As you can see, all of the studs are pretty much doubled up, or in some cases tripled.

Any ideas out there?

Edit: Sorry, the pictures decided to upload sideways and I'm not sure how to rotate them...

Attached Images     

Last edited by pesh131; 10-26-17 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Weird picture rotation...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-17, 08:30 PM
No doubt more than one way to skin this cat but given tools on hand I'd attack it with the angle grinder and small sledge. Cut as deep as possible all the way around on top, sides, and bottom. Then start tapping around it with the sledge. It should break free with a rough ridge in the middle you can cut off and grind down.

The amount of dust is going to be insane (prepare well for this) and if rebar is present it will not work as cleanly.

I hardly ever work with concrete though so interested to hear other ideas.

Old 10-27-17, 03:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's going to take a long time with an angle grinder & a small sledge. Rent a Partner saw & an electric jack hammer. You'll be done a lot faster with less muscle aches.

http://www.concretesupplyhouse.com/i...ts/K750_lg.jpg

Old 10-28-17, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the replies - I thought about renting a saw like that, but at the time I figured the saw guard would get in the way of cutting the concrete if I wanted to cut flush with the vertical 2x4, but now that I see the link of the image, it looks like that blade would be big enough that the guard would never come near the stud.

As for the jackhammer, it just seems like overkill for a little ~36in opening, but you're right...it might save some aching muscles in the end!

Old 10-28-17, 03:24 PM
You could say that the tools that I recommended are overkill but you will quickly change your mind when you use smaller tools. I've underestimated jobs before.

Old 10-28-17, 10:11 PM
I suppose it's better to overestimate and make the job take 1/2 the time than to underestimate and feel sore for days!

Now to just convince my wife it's time to do this...immediately

Thanks again!

Old 10-29-17, 04:49 AM
There is a tool to convince your wife. It's called reservations, for dinner.