Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Wall behind backsplash does not meet backsplash.

Old 11-02-17, 03:20 PM

Hi,

I installed the granite and noticed that the backsplash wall is uneven leaving me with a gap of 1" at the corner of the wall.

whats the best and efficient way to solve this issue?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-17, 03:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'd need to build the wall out with joint compound but that can be a job. Do you expect to have stuff setting on the top that would hide a portion of it? if so, you could use backer rod and caulking.

Old 11-02-17, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
How are you going to finish the wall? Will it be painted or are you going to tile?

Is the granite backsplash strip already glued in place or can it be moved?

Old 11-02-17, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
It looks like there may be a high spot in the wall at the receptacle box.

Old 11-02-17, 05:44 PM
I havent glued the backsplash.

Yes. Theres a high point right at the recepetical box.

im still trying to decided what to do with the backsplash. I generally just want to paint it white, but if theres too many imperfection I might be considering tiles/mosaics. Im remodeling to sell and Im already over budget (didnt know mosaics were so expensive).

I was thinking of plastering to cover the gap. Just want to see if theres any other options. Thats a lot of plastering haha.

Old 11-02-17, 05:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Scribe a line across the top of the granite backsplash. Remove the backsplash and carve out some of the drywall in that area so that the granite backsplash can be slightly inset into the wall. This will reduce the gap, and try to make the gap on both sides of the high spot and it will leave you with a much smaller gap on both sides that you can caulk and paint. No one will really notice but you. Very few walls are perfectly straight, it is how you hide it that makes your job worthy.

Old 11-03-17, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
Crizzi said exactly what I was thinking if your backs plash was still loose. With such a huge bump or gap you might be best to split the difference. If you have a 1" gap at the end recess the back splash 1/2" into the sheetrock so you are left with a 1/2" gap at the end. Then if you tile a thick tile like stone might cover the gap. If you paint the back wall then a strip of molding along the top of the back splash could camouflage and conceal the recessed back splash and gap.