Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

drywall over lathe & plaster on an exterior wall...vapor barrier or no?

Old 11-08-17, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I live Iin Sothwestern Ontario, Ca., and have a 140 year old 2 story brick house. The house was built using the "balloon construction" design. The exterior walls have long thick planks nailed horizontally to the vertical 3"x 5" studs and are covered with lathe & plaster. Some walls have been painted and others wallpapered but ALL of the exterior walls have little or no insulation and as winter fast approaches they are cold to the touch on the inside. My question is "should I use a vapor barrier between the painted or papered surface before I attach new drywall to the surface. The walls are dry and there has never been any dampness. I have lived in the house for 15 yrs and have put up with this ""winter" feature for some time but now the older I get the colder I feel. I hope some of you out there can help me with this dilemma. Thank you.

retiredretailer

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-17, 12:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I know it's more work but I'd be inclined to rip out the plaster/lath on the exterior walls and insulate prior to hanging the new drywall. You'd also have a chance to update any electrical if needed.

Old 11-08-17, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
I can't see a layer of drywall doing anything to help insulate the walls. I'd skip it or do as Mark says.

Old 11-08-17, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
drywall over lath & plaster

Thank you so much for the input. I did remove lath / plaster from one room years ago and had the walls "drilled & filled" with blown cellulose insulation. I also had a quote for blown insulation a year or so ago, but as I am living in the house it would require moving out & putting furniture in storage for a month or so in order to do a proper job, so perhaps next spring. Thanks again.