Using ventilator fan during sanding?

Old 11-18-17, 04:10 AM
Using ventilator fan during sanding?

Hey, y誕ll. Brand new here. I知 in the middle of a bathroom renovation. I知 about to start taping and mudding. Before that though I need to take some coarse sandpaper and do some work on the old walls. I have ordered a sander attachment for the shop vac for the actual drywall sanding. But: Does anyone recommend or have experience using an 8 or 12 inch tube type fan with some ducting to move dusty air out of a workspace? Does it work. Is it worth it? ($150-300)
thanks!
Brett - GA

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-17, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
Be careful when using the power sander. It's easy to get off the mud and onto the paper of the sheetrock which can raise a fuzz on the paper that's difficult to deal with.

Even a box fan can move a lot of dust out of a work area. Mud dust is hard on the motor and bearings so I usually set up a fan blowing clean air into an area which is fine with a bigger room that has a window open for the dusty air to go out.

If you're really concerned about the dust you can do final sanding/finishing with a damp sponge. Get a firm sponge with a nice flat face. Get it damp then rub it on the mud with a circular motion. The damp will soften the top little bit of the mud and smooth it out without generating any dust.

Old 11-18-17, 04:58 AM
Thanks!

Thanks, Pilot Dane. (I知 a pilot too if that痴 what your name means.). I was not going to use a power sander on the mud. Hand sand with the shop vac attachment there. I already have some spots where the Sheetrock is down in the paper. Is there a way to go over that effectively? I was just gonna mud it. Thanks for your speedy reply again!