New bathroom light wont fit!

Old 11-20-17, 09:56 AM
New bathroom light wont fit!

Hey all, I knew I would have another question!

Changing the bathroom light and found out that I need more room. The new light, when installed will go too low and it runs into the top of the large mirror attached to the wall. See attached image, the blue lines show how much room I have between the bottom of the junction box and the top of the mirror. The yellow lines represent how much room I actually need.

So I unhooked the wires and waiting for my solution.

I am not sure what the best option is but here are a few options that I thought of so between these or recommending something else, which would be my best bet here?

a) tear into the drywall and move the junction box up a few inches to give me the room I need and then repair wall

b) take mirror down and have someone cut a few inches off the top and re-attach to wall

c) take mirror down and buy a new, smaller mirror and attach to wall

d)none of these options are sensible enough - just find a new light that doesn't need as much room

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-17, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
This is your call. If that mirror is glued to the wall.... there isn't much chance of getting it pulled off to have it trimmed without breaking it.

Smaller light or raise the box. The box is easy to raise as it's screwed directly to the face of the wall stud but it will require some patchwork at the bottom.

Old 11-21-17, 04:29 AM
As PJ says move the fixture. It's by far the easier of the two choices. I don't think moving the mirror will be easy or correct. Or just buy a smaller light as you mentioned.