drywall on top of plaster?

Old 05-08-01, 06:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Can dry wall be installed over plaster? If so how?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-01, 01:44 PM
Visiting Guest
You could glue it on and pray...................or tear out the plaster/lathe and then hang the sheetrock.

Old 05-08-01, 06:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hello,

DON'T GLUE!!! If you can mark the studs, screw on the new drywall.

Good Luck

Old 05-09-01, 11:08 AM
Visiting Guest
I was not really suggesting that you glue it......

My experience is that old paster is very crumbly or too hard to get screws through.

Old 05-09-01, 11:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Yeah, it is usually crumbly, and thats something to consider, since you don't want chunks falling off and holding out the drywall.

I have never had plaster that I was unable to drive screws into. If the plaster was very thick and hard, you could try self tapping screws.

Old 05-09-01, 04:29 PM
Visiting Guest
screw length?

Should the screws go through the plaster and into the studs?
Could I create a lath framework on top of the plaster and screw the drywall into that? any tips on procedure will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-10-01, 07:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hello,

I would find and mark the stud locations. The studs are probably 16" on center, starting from one side of the wall or the other. A little experimental drilling will tell you where the studs are at.

Once you have an idea of where the studs are located, hang your rock just like you normally would, screwing through the lath into the stud behind it. If your lathe is very thick, and your having trouble going through it, try some self tappers and see if that helps.

I would not worry about building a lath framework on top of the plaster to screw too. I would only do this if I couldn't screw into the existing wall with drywall screws (Cement walls for example). If you find it very difficult to drive your screws through the existing wall, you do this.

Hope this helps-

Old 05-10-01, 11:31 AM
Visiting Guest
We are doing this now - using screws 1/2" longer.

Old 05-15-01, 10:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

What are you supposed to do about existing molding around doors and windows when you are adding drywall over plaster walls? Walls that I want to do this to also have a wainscoating that is flush with the molding around the doors and windows. Does that further complicate matters?