Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Bathroom wallpaper removale Help and questions

Bathroom wallpaper removale Help and questions


Old 12-04-17, 07:23 AM
Tracker470's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Bathroom wallpaper removale Help and questions

Hi this is my first post so if I break protocol please forgive me. I also have limited use of hands and shoulders so if my typing is poor again I ask your indulgence. My wife and I are redoing the entire house, making room for my son. (disabled vet) Removed 60 year old wallpaper from bathroom. Top came off no problem and have begun working on backing and glue. I've noticed many folks here recommend using gardz to seal the wall. Can not find Gardz in my local stores. Another suggestion is an oil based primer. Any brand names? I have cover stain by Zinsser and Kilz complete, both tinted a light blue. I bought these to test on untreated 60 year old dry wall in the garage. Can these be used? I also have a question about skim coat. Can anything labeled joint compound from (Home Depot, close Lowes miles away) be used? Is there something I should be looking for on the label, questions for sales person, name brands. I have a Sherwin Williams paint store fairly close, do they have a primer that can be used? Name? Thank You all so much, I really appreciate any and all comments. I'm old but this is all new to me.
Old 12-04-17, 08:21 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 19,606
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
The Zinsser oil based primer would be my choice of the two you listed. Just keep in mind it's worth the effort to remove all of the glue you can first. Regular joint compound would be the best single product for skim coating. Finally, Sherwin Williams would be a good place to get both primer and paint.
Old 12-04-17, 10:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 47,827
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Get the joint compound with the green lid, it's an all purpose mud and has more adhesion properties than the others. You'll want to thin it slightly with water so it spreads easier.
Most any oil base primer will work. Gardz is the only water based primer that will work. The primer both seals any leftover wallpaper paste and any exposed gypsum [where the drywall paper is torn]

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: