Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Attaching furring strips to hollow-structural-tile-with-layer-of-concrete(?)

Old 12-31-17, 07:22 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to sheetrock over the interior of the exterior walls. The walls are made of structural terra cotta tiles (Structural Terra Cotta - Structural Clay Tile) with a 1" layer of a sandy concrete (I'm guessing it's concrete, but it's a very sandy mixture) + an 1/8" of plaster. I'm guessing due to past water damage/seepage through the brick exterior, some parts of the sandy concrete fall off the tiles with little effort, other parts still seem very secure.

What's the best way to attach furring strips? I'm assuming mechanical fasteners in addition to construction glue. My first thoughts are tapcons or ramset nails. But having to pre-drill with tapcons seems like a slow process, and I'm not sure the hollow tiles can withstand ramset nailers without breaking. Any advice?

A couple more questions, 1. Should I try to get the nails or screws into the hollow tiles? Or keep them short and just into the concrete? And, 2. Assuming I also use construction glue, can I get away with just 2 or 3 fasteners (i.e. top, middle, bottom) per furring strip rather than every 10"-12"?

Thanks

Attached Images  

Last edited by EvanVanVan; 12-31-17 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-17, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Is that picture shown in the correct orientation ?

I see wood in the picture. Possible wall stud ?
I also see expanded metal lath.

Old 12-31-17, 10:18 AM
E
The picture is in the correct orientation. The stud on the right side is an existing interior wall. The horizontal 2x4 embedded in the tile is just a small nailer the original builders used to attach the visible wall stud. There are several of them, but they're only a few inches wide. As for the lath I don't think that covers the entire area (it's been few years since I fully demoed "the concrete" in a different room.). I think there are a few strips spaced apart for a little extra mechanical attachment for the concrete.

I'm trying to avoid removing all the concrete down to the tile because I've done it before and it's not fun lol.

On a separate note I've also read about these clay tiles being very brittle and easily broken. While yes, holes I've made with a hammer drill sometimes blow out, they can also take quite a beating with a maul and not break at all.

Old 12-31-17, 10:32 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
You have a scratch coat or brown coat covered by plaster veneer. The wire mesh in the corners is the giveaway. I think if you ramset and can hit the mortar joints between the terra cotta tiles you will be OK. If you try to drive into the tiles, they will break. A good construction adhesive and a few strategically placed mechanical fasteners should be OK to hang sheet rock on. Give the adhesive time to set up.

Old 12-31-17, 11:03 PM
E
Hmm, never got an email notification for your reply. Thank you though!

That makes sense. I'm now wondering if instead of Tapcons I should give up and use 3/16" or 1/4" toggle bolts. It'll be slow but I've never had good luck with tapcons (either the concrete is too hard and strips the threads or the holes ream out too much and don't grab the threads). But I'll try one or two Tapcons first and see how it goes.

Since it's mostly the glue doing the holding. Should 3 bolts per 8' strip be enough? Top, bottom, middle? Maybe I can get away with 2? A foot from each end, 6' in between? Damn, it's gonna take a while to do +/- (30) strips!

Thanks again, and happy new year!

Old 01-01-18, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
That sounds like a good plan. Try tapcons first... if they don't work, try toggles. But use small ones... you will probably need 4" bolts with them.

And use the 1/4" tapcons... they grab much better than the 3/16" ones. 3 fasteners should do unless your strips are wild.