Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Can i hang tongue and groove with this joist layout?

Old 01-27-18, 03:46 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to put tongue and groove on a ceiling in our dining room. The joists that go all the way across are 20 inches apart. I'm not sure whats going on with this, but I believe it has something to do with the roof, as there are many angles in this area of the home. I'm not 100% certain of the diagonal studs, but I did cut away some sheet rock and confirm it is that way on one side. Can anything be done here without ripping off the drywall?

NOTE: on the left side, the red line is heavier due to an available stud for anchoring .. there is no stud present on the right side for anchoring.

Please excuse the drawing, it isn't exactly to scale, but at least you can see my situation.

Attached Images  
Old 01-27-18, 05:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,526 Votes on 1,409 Posts
I'm not the pro in this forum but I can recommend you chalk line the ceiling joists as it will be very important to catch each one with your T and G.

You're going to hang the T and G perpendicular to the joists.... correct ?

Old 01-27-18, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 941 Votes on 859 Posts
If you don't rip off drywall, add 1x4 strapping over everything... vertically as you look at your photo... then run the t&g perpendicular.

But IMO it might be wise to remove the drywall... make sure you have edge blocking everywhere you need it, then add blocking on the right section that is cut up so that layout matches the left side.

Old 01-28-18, 03:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
From a painter's perspective - if you stain [or not] and apply 2 coats of poly/varnish [sanded between coats] before installation you'll make finishing quicker/easier. Just be sure not to get any excessive poly on the tongues.

Old 04-15-18, 08:04 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
T&G ceiling

The absolute best idea is to create a secure either 16 inch by 2 ft or 2 ft Square furring strip framing structure to attach your tongue and groove paneling to. The only thing that I would make sure of is that you Ensure that you have a nice level and flat surface once your furring strips are secure in mounted so as you begin to apply your final product you don't end up having any warped or up and down spots that can be seen or felt if done right nothing will pop or nothing should Warp good luck with it

Old 04-15-18, 08:53 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
T&G does not meet the requirements of an air barrier and adding a layer of plastic fails as well. An air barrier needs to be rigid which the drywall provides. Plastic will end up with many holes and will billow up and down as house air pressure changes. Think what the curtains do with a window slightly open and the front door opens and closes.

There have been some disasters in cold climates with condensation in the attic due to T&G used for ceiling without a good air barrier.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: