Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Bathroom Shiplap/Tongue and Groove Options

Old 03-06-18, 06:47 PM

Hello Everyone - First post here!

Just purchased your typical "Cabin in the woods" and looking to make the bathroom appearance a bit more Cabin like. At the moment, the bathroom currently has your basic Sheetrock painted white all around. I am looking to put up shiplap/Tongue and Groove wooden planks to give it more of that cabin feel. I would prefer a natural color wood that I can just take out of the box and hammer to the walls. My concern with raw wood on the walls is that they might be susceptible to the moisture a typical bathroom with a shower produces. I want to avoid warping at all costs yet keep the raw wood style.

My question is, is there a specific type of wood I should be looking at that will require minimal installation/maintenance? Cedar comes to mind but just want to make sure they aren't any other/cheaper options. I love Pine and do not mind the knots in the wood.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-18, 03:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't consider installing any type of wood that didn't have a finish on it! ideally the wood would have 3 coats of poly [sanding lightly between coats] To speed things up and make it easier you could apply the first 2 coats outside on a saw horse. Unless you take real steaming showers with no exhaust fan the poly will hold up for decades.