How to fix ceiling stain?

Old 03-23-18, 07:48 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to fix ceiling stain?

a leaking water heater did this stain on the ceiling...see pic. Can i try paint, spray or something?

what is this ceiling tile called? Is it hard and expensive to replace? My best option to make it look better on a budget? Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-18, 08:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
First paint the stain with a oil based stain blocking primer like Zinsser Cover Stain or Kilz Original. Then you can re-paint the entire ceiling with a water based latex to give it a uniform appearance.

Old 03-23-18, 11:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
As PD said, a solvent based stain blocking primer along with latex paint is the easiest fix. Occasionally water stains are too bad for an oil base primer - then you need a pigmented shellac like Zinnser's BIN.

I doubt you can still buy those ceiling tiles. You pretty much only see them in older houses.

Old 03-23-18, 12:30 PM
T
Thanks, yeah its a really old house, needs a lot of work. Ill likely be asking for more advice on this forum...cheers!
i was thinking of renting a sprayer to do this, to get in the cracks etc, does that make the job easier?

Old 03-23-18, 12:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
No, you'd be better off with a brush and roller. Overspray tends to travel a lot! I could brush and roll it in the time it takes to completely cover everything up including sealing off adjoining room. Also the paint covers better if it's worked in with a brush or roller.

A 1/2" nap roller should do a good job of getting in the cracks/grooves. The trick is to apply the paint liberally so it flows into the joints, you then roll back over it to dress it up.

Old 04-30-18, 12:57 PM
T
Thanks a lot for all the advice, finally got around to doing it last weekend, looks so much better. Very happy to have saved a lot of money...thanks again!

Old 05-01-18, 02:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the update, glad it worked out for you.