Help with ceiling patching

Old 04-20-18, 05:41 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with ceiling patching

Hello,

This is our first home and we pretty much have no clue what we’re doing with a lot of things, but we’re learning and it’s been fun! Anyway, I need some help figuring out how to fix the damaged ceiling in my daughters bedroom. I’m clueless. Is this plaster or drywall (I think it’s plaster)? How do I fix it? Can someone walk me through how I’d fix this so my daughter doesn’t have a scary hole in her ceiling anymore? Thank you!

Name:  tp1.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  79.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-20-18 at 07:53 PM. Reason: added 1 pic from link
Old 04-20-18, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Welcome!

Yeah, sorry, the site edits out pictures from tiny pic dot com. People just need to replace the *'s with that.

Yes, it's plaster. The finish coat is coming off. Anything loose needs to be removed. This usually happens when there is a water leak, so is there a bathroom above, or a dormer, or any other source of a potential leak? Have you ever noticed it was wet?

As for repair... it kind of depends how viable the base coat is. The base coat is the darker brown layer that is more like cement. After you scrape, it would be a good idea to put plastic down and give the base layer a good scrubbing with water and a stiff brush to make sure it's not dusty.

Once that is dry, the simplest thing to do is to give it one coat of durabond (brown bag, not the easy sand). Fill any holes and try to lay it on about 1/8" thick. YouTube is a good source for videos on how to skim coat.

Once that is dry you will need to follow up with 2 more skim coats of regular joint compound. The texture will be next to impossible to match so you would probably want to retexture the entire ceiling after the repair is finished.

Old 04-20-18, 06:33 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
How to insert images: How to insert pictures.

Old 04-20-18, 06:35 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There was a roof leak. We're getting the roof replaced ASAP. Should I hold off on fixing this until after the roof is done? Probably a stupid question but I have no clue. Thanks for your help!

Old 04-20-18, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Yes definitely wait until the roof is fixed. Unless you want to fix it twice.

If the brown layer is loose or cracked you will need to reinforce it with some plaster washers and screws. So if you push on the brown base layer hard and it moves, it needs help.

Old 04-21-18, 03:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
.... and if the base coat is in real bad shape you can cut it out and replace it with a piece of drywall which you'd shim [if needed] so it's just shy of being flush with the rest of the ceiling [mud will make it even]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: