Bulging seam in drywall

Old 04-30-18, 01:26 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bulging seam in drywall

Hi there - We moved into an older(ish) house last July and hung this picture shelf shortly after. There was a heavier photo frame in front of the problem seam in the attached picture. I started noticing a bulge behind that frame not too long ago but today it seems considerably worse than it was. It's hard when I push it, as opposed to soft, and doesn't seem to have any give. I don't know if the problem is the heavy frame on the shelf, the screw and anchor in the seam, or if there's a structural problem. Is this something to be concerned about and how would I even go about fixing it?

Thanks so much

Attached Images   

Last edited by jmc18226; 04-30-18 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-01-18, 02:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Do you know if that is at a drywall joint? It almost looks like an issue with the tape.
I'd scrape off anything that is loose or higher than the surrounding drywall, then tape/mud and finish it like a drywall joint.

Old 05-01-18, 03:17 PM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
The funny thing is that OP says it's bulging out ward. It's hard to tell from the pics but it does not look like the drywall joint was done wrong. And the pics don't show bulging. Perhaps if you lay a straight edge along the wall and took a pic we might better see what you have. Even a pic taken along the side of the wall.

The only thing that I would guess is that the 2 x 4 stud is not properly positioned or is slightly larger than it should be and the builder or modeler just didn't give a damn at that point.

Old 05-07-18, 02:22 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't know much about construction (we're new homeowners) but yes, I believe it is a drywall joint. And since noticing this bump, I've noticed a couple more that definitely weren't there when we moved in because I painted all the walls.

I'm just very, very worried that it might be a structural problem? The house was built in the 1950s so it shouldn't be settling at this point, right?

Attached Images   
Old 05-07-18, 02:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
That looks like failing tape to me. I'd cut out what is loose, retape and finish.

Old 05-07-18, 05:14 PM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
I agree. ___________________________

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: