Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

drywall over rigidfoam over tongue and groove

drywall over rigidfoam over tongue and groove

Old 05-31-18, 07:24 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question drywall over rigidfoam over tongue and groove

I have a 1900's house with a dormer room finished with tongue and groove -24"oc joists (sturdy/secure, almost 1 inch thick) with weird tape on the seams and peeling paint (lead possibly) - it is off two bedrooms so I am converting to large closet space. Does this sound like an ok plan- 1)scrape peeling paint 2)apply with adhesive and screws, 1 inch rigid foam to all wall and ceiling surfaces (for moisture barrier) 3)apply 3/8 drywall (may have to fold or use 1/2 sheets as steps are narrow leading up 4)finish/texture if needed, prime, paint.
Questions- a) Will the tongue and groove work like furring strips to help the drywall since it is secure or does the additional weight of the drywall cause problems? b) Shoud I screw into areas not on the joists or avoid them? c) If using half sheets of drywall 4x4 i guess it doesn't matter which way they go up -but shoukd I run them horizontally (perpindicular) if unfolded as joists run to the peak. d) center ceiling is only 5 foot wide 11 foot long will 3/8 be ok there if in the joists (no tongue and groove visable there but it could be under the existing masonite board they have up there)?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-18, 07:38 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a 1900's house with a dormer room finished with tongue and groove -24"oc joists (sturdy/secure, almost 1 inch thick) with weird tape on the seams and peeling paint (lead possibly) - it is off two bedrooms so I am converting to large closet space. Does this sound like an ok plan- 1)scrape peeling paint 2)apply with adhesive and screws, 1 inch rigid foam to all wall and ceiling surfaces (for moisture barrier) 3)apply 3/8 drywall (may have to fold or use 1/2 sheets as steps are narrow leading up 4)finish/texture if needed, prime, paint.
Questions- a) Will the tongue and groove work like furring strips to help the drywall since it is secure or does the additional weight of the drywall cause problems? b) Shoud I screw into areas not on the joists or avoid them? c) If using half sheets of drywall 4x4 i guess it doesn't matter which way they go up -but shoukd I run them horizontally (perpindicular) if unfolded as joists run to the peak. d) center ceiling is only 5 foot wide 11 foot long will 3/8 be ok there if in the joists (no tongue and groove visable there but it could be under the existing masonite board they have up there)?