Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

How long does it take for water stains

Old 06-04-18, 05:08 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have water stains (not major) on my bathroom ceiling which appear to be dry. This is in the first floor of a two story condo with a separate unit above me. Bathrooms upstairs are directly above mine.

Anyway, my question is how long does it take water to seep thru ceiling drywall and make a water mark? I'm sure it depends on how much water leaked from above but if anyone has an idea of a range. I'm trying to get a time frame for the event that caused the leak. Thanks

Old 06-04-18, 05:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
That is a hard question to answer. The amount of water and the porosity of the drywall play a big part. The main thing is to find/repair the leak. Then it's just a matter of sealing and painting over the stains.

Old 06-04-18, 05:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
As you suspect it depends on the size of the leak. I've seen some take days for it to show while a more severe leak can show through in hours. If you don't cut out the moistened sheetrock I would wait at least a month after the leak is fixed before painting over the stain to allow time for the sheetrock to dry out.

Just because the stain appears to be dry doesn't mean you don't have a leak. Leaks do not fix themselves. The water is seeping through the sheetrock and drying on the surface leaving a stain. It may look dry but if you look at the area with a thermal camera you would see a dark, cold blob from the moistened area.

Old 06-05-18, 08:28 AM
H
About 5 weeks before the stains on the bathroom ceiling, I had a water leak in a kitchen wall. Under the sink is a separate supply for the fridge ice maker. They used a 3/8" grey supply line. This is connected to the supply under the sink then it goes back into the wall. About 4 feet later it comes out of the wall and is then connected to the ice maker supply line. At the time of the leak I could see water seeping out around the outside of the line under the sink. I also had carpet damage in a bedroom on the other side of the wall. I replaced the 3/8" line but ran it thru the cabinet to the fridge rather then thru the wall. I have had no noticeable problems in the area since then.

The bathroom now showing the ceiling stain is about 10' from the kitchen. Using my imagination I suppose the 2 leaks could be related but 5 weeks for the stain to show up seems too long.

The old supply line was not removed from the wall, it was just not used. I tried to pull it out but it appears to be firmly attached to something (a stud?). So, I never specifically confirmed the supply line had a leak somewhere in the wall. I don't want to remove the 4' of drywall to inspect the pipe. Is there a way to test the pipe for a hole with it in place?

Old 06-09-18, 06:02 AM
H
[CENTER][/CENT
Leak found. The bathroom toilet above my unit had a very slow leak in the supply. The leak was slow enough that the owner did not see the drips/water. Problem was found by knowledgeable inspectors.
I'm away from the condo for a month and will seal/paint when I return.

ER]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: