Putting up drywall or insulation?

Old 06-04-18, 07:00 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Putting up drywall or insulation?

In the process of closing on a house in a few days and thinking about a few of the repairs that are going to be needed.
I’m clueless when it comes to home repairs so I’m looking for advice!

While looking at the home we realized that behind the current wood paneling there is no insulation. The previous owners have pieces of normal squares of styrofoam behind the paneling.

Our first thought was to rip the paneling down, put up insulation and then put drywall back up.

Someone else had also suggested just putting up drywall over the wood paneling to save us some money and still better insulate the room.

No idea which direction I should go. Thoughts are appreciated, thanks!Advice and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-04-18, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Drywall has almost zero insulation value. I would 100% remove the paneling and install insulation, then drywall.

Old 06-05-18, 01:27 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Where are you located, unless you are in a perfect climate where you never condition the living space you need insulated walls otherwise all that money to heat cool just disappears.

Whats the attic situation?

Old 06-05-18, 02:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What type of construction is this house? conventionally framed with a void big enough for insulation or is it block with just furring strips [only room for styrofoam]? As mentioned above the climate you are located in plays a big part. One big benefit of removing the paneling is it will allow you to add electrical receptacles if needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: