Cause of drywall bulge?

Old 08-10-18, 05:10 PM
Question Cause of drywall bulge?

I know ultimately I'll have to start cutting holes to take a look what going on behind the drywall, but was wondering if anyone has personally run into something like this before and could give a bit of insight. Tried to find examples on the internet and I didn't see anything quite the same. On the 2nd floor of the house, there's an interior wall in a hall which is bulging every so slightly at the bottom and the moulding with it - the rest of the hallway is perfectly fine. There are also some nails that look to have popped out and when I press against the wall, they stick out a bit more as if it gives way a bit. The ceiling above is perfectly fine. The wall doesn't feel wet, but went into the attic anyhow to see if there was a possible roof leak and did not see anything. If there are any other details that would help, please let me know!

Bottom of wall:
Name:  IMG_1042.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  56.0 KB

Zoomed out:
Name:  IMG_1043.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  42.0 KB

Nails sticking out:
Name:  IMG_1044.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  58.7 KB

View from above:
Name:  IMG_1045.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  63.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-18, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
My guess is that there is a 3 or 4" pvc stack in the wall and they squeezed it into a 3 1/2" wall. When you were in the attic did you happen to notice any pipes coming up the wall?

Otherwise it's probably just poor framing or twisting lumber.

Old 08-10-18, 06:35 PM
Could be dozens of things.
The most common one I've seen is someone built that wall with a curved bottom plate in the first place.
Unless you do some major demo about all you can do is drive the nails back in, add drywall screws between the nails and do some patching with drywall compound, prime and repaint two coats.

Old 08-11-18, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
My guess is that there is a 3 or 4" pvc stack in the wall and they squeezed it into a 3 1/2" wall. When you were in the attic did you happen to notice any pipes coming up the wall?

Otherwise it's probably just poor framing or twisting lumber.
Actually it does look like there's some pvc running back there. Going to probably do bit of demoing to see what's going on and will update my findings. Thank you guys for your insights!

Old 08-11-18, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
If there is a bathroom or toilet nearby... directly behind this area, or on the floor below, that's a good possibility. But you should be able to see that pipe coming up through the attic.