Mystery board beneath drywall

Old 12-09-18, 02:22 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mystery board beneath drywall

We live in a split-level house in the midwest that was built in 1975. We are currently in the process of remodeling our lower level after dealing with substantial flooding around labor day. As we are getting ready to start the rebuild I decided that it would be nice to rip out the outdated paneling and wallpaper and I have noticed that between the wallpaper/ paneling layer and the drywall, there is a thin layer of something like melamine that seems to run all the way up the wall. Does anyone have any experience with what this is? What purpose does it serve? I have attached some photos for clarification.
Attached Images    
Old 12-09-18, 02:50 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 26,407
Received 1,744 Upvotes on 1,568 Posts
Looks like they used scraps of glassboard as a shim. Rip it off.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: