Is this a load bearing wall?

Old 02-27-19, 10:33 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this a load bearing wall?

Hello,

We're remodeling our bathroom and I would like to remove a wall that appears to be there for looks because of the style in the late 60's. I'm wondering if there is any possibility that this wall is a load bearing wall or if I'll have any issues when I remove it. It appears to be more of a decorative wall to me but i would like a second opinion. The wall runs perpendicular to the ceiling joists but there isn't anything bearing down on it when I go in the attic and the exterior wall (which I know is load bearing) is only about 5 ft. away. There are 3 or 4 ceiling joists that cross the wall and I plan to replace 1 (or more) of the ceiling joist because we found termite damage when we pulled off the drywall. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have attached 2 pictures of the wall I am referring to and I can go into the attic to take more pictures if it would help.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-19, 10:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
I can not say with 100% certainty but I would say it is not load bearing. The clue for me is the long stud spacing above the header. Certainly the turned column/newel post isn't lending much support.

Definitely have your home inspected and/or treated for termites. It's expensive but one area you don't want to skimp.