Cross studs behind drywall

Old 08-25-19, 05:27 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cross studs behind drywall

Trying to wall mount a TV and also add a powerbridge to hide wires. I used a stud finder but it would give unreliable results i.e. it would show a stud at one place but if I moved the stud finder down it would show it some other place. Tried another stud finder - not much different. Fine. I think let me first do the powerbridge and when I cut out the drywall, it will be obvious where the studs are. I use both stud finders to find a spot near an existing outlet that both agree has no studs. Used a dry wall saw to cut through and just my luck - hit a stud. Not only that, they are cross or slanting. This is on a wall which has an exterior i.e. it is not an interior only wall. No wonder there were issues finding the studs. Any idea what these are and how to reliably find these?

Name:  IMG-9452.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  87.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-26-19 at 09:48 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized picture
Old 08-25-19, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
The diagonal board is wind bracing. Slide a coat hanger into the wall to measure where the adjacent studs are. The will likely be to the left and right of your hole.

Azeem Feroz voted this post useful.
Old 08-26-19, 07:25 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the reply XSleeper! Will definitely try that. Is there usually just one of these for the wall? For the powerbridge, I am assuming you would recommend moving the hole I had for the power to another location - trying to avoid another hole where the wind bracing is.

Old 08-26-19, 07:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Yeah you will need a different hole off to the side if you have wires to stuff back in the wall

Azeem Feroz voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: