Which type of Drywall

Old 09-11-19, 09:31 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Which type of Drywall

My house has a walkout basement, and next to the 'walk out' is a six-foot section of wall which is not cement. It is standard wood, insulation and a plastic vapor barrier. My cats have been putting holes in the plastic and though we have no immediate plans to complete the basement, this section is begging for drywall.

My question is which drywall would be best? since it's an outside wall, would 5/8" be best or 1/2"? (Side note, there are only a few small holes in the plastic, but should I replace it before putting up the drywall?)

Old 09-12-19, 04:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
5/8" drywall is only needed on ceilings and fire walls [like between the garage and house] and 1/2" is lighter and easier to handle. I'd tape the cuts in the plastic.

Marvinator voted this post useful.
Old 09-13-19, 10:31 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Agree with the 1/2" drywall.
The only reason I might suggest going with any other size is if you have to match thicknesses with the rest of the wall that is not 1/2"

Old 09-13-19, 10:35 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Id remove the plastic, that is a vapor barrier and not good for walls in a basement!

Old 09-13-19, 10:54 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Id remove the plastic, that is a vapor barrier and not good for walls in a basement!
My understanding of the OP was this is at the walkout, so technically its not treated as a basement in that area.
That being said, I've heard both for and against on vapor barrier in below grade basements. Myself personally, I'll run vapor barrier in the basement, plastic on the exterior side of studs and under the bottom plate. This way if there is any moisture or water from the exterior wall, its not getting to my insulation and is directed under the wall.
I remember there being many debates on this basement vapor barrier in basement topic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: