Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Mounting a heavy mirror on drywall with pocket door behind it

Old 11-15-19, 07:49 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

have a large - heavy mirror that I want to mount on drywall in the bedroom but a pocket door is behind the dry wall - what can I use to anchor the mirror so that it will not interfere with the pocket door operation

Old 11-15-19, 07:54 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Google french cleat, they are excellent for mounting heavy objects but it needs to mount to a stud, drywall will not support heavy objects, ever!

Old 11-15-19, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The answer would depend on whether or not the mirror has its own frame or not, or if it's just a piece of glass. Also "heavy" is not very descriptive. What's the size and thickness of the glass, or an estimate of what it weighs?

Old 11-15-19, 02:49 PM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
The drywall must be attached to framing. It would be best to locate the framing and attach the mirror to it. Beyond that, I believe mirrors over 100 lbs. can be attached to drywall using French cleats or double headed hangers if you're willing to use enough anchors or toggle bolts.

Old 11-16-19, 11:47 AM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
If this is a modern house the framing for the pocket door is horizontal. You can probably see where it is if you shine a light into the door pocket.
It goes without saying that you don't want your anchors, whatever they be, to screw into the door or if the door is closed when you install to scratch the door when you open it.
Yes heavy is relative. I would worry a bit about a lot of weight messing up the alignment of the door pocket and maybe causing the door to work hard.

Old 11-16-19, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Lots of pocket doors have vertical steel wrapped 1x2" framing. Johnson hardware is one of the most common kits. Jordan millwork and others make horizontal 1x4 prehung kits. But yeah you should look past the door with a flashlight to figure out which kind you have. Any fasteners you use should not be longer than 1 1/4" . But either way it shouldn't affect the door operation at all. Provided you don't use a fastener that is too long.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: